Makes 32 pieces
Rugelach rules at holiday time, but you’ll want to make ours all year long! Our twist on this traditional Jewish recipe uses purchased pie dough (sold in 2-packs,) which we slather with chocolatey cannabutter spread and crunchy walnuts. The result is a simplified rollup that’s tender, sweet, and delightfully reminiscent of the real thing. Feel free to halve this recipe, then fill the second pastry with cheese and sauce for a savory pizza version.
What you’ll need:
*This recipe uses both crusts!
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 340°F. Adjust oven rack to the center of the oven. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix butter, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt by hand with a wooden spoon beating until well incorporated (or mix with electric beaters until light and fluffy). Combine chocolate morsels and walnuts in a small bowl.
3. Sprinkle your work surface with a little flour. Carefully unroll one pie crust. Press any broken sections with your fingers. Spread half the butter within 1/4 inch around the edge. Sprinkle with half of the chocolate morsel and walnut mix, pressing the pieces lightly into the dough.
4. Use a knife to cut the dough into quarters. Cut each quarter into 4 wedges for a total of 16 wedges. Beginning at the wide end, roll the wedge of dough tightly into a crescent shape by pinching the center slightly and bending the ends. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the other crust.
5. Transfer the crescents onto a sheet pan, point side down, about 2 inches apart. Brush egg mixture over the tops of the crescents and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the rugelach is golden brown. Remove from sheet pan on to a cooling rack. Enjoy warm.
Words of wisdom: Start low, go slow.
*Before using a cannabis infusion in a recipe, taste ¼ t of the infusion with a small bite of food. Assess how you’re feeling after an hour and adjust the potency as needed. Remember: Infusing a whole dish requires careful planning... and mindful math!
Always label your edibles: “Contains cannabis, 21+” – Keep out of the reach of children.