Recipe: Canna-Cranna Sage Shrub Mocktail
A shrub is a light syrup made from fruit and preserved with vinegar. This shrub packs a fantastic “punch” of tart cranberries, savory sage, and tangy apple cider vinegar, balanced out with sweet maple syrup. We’ve mixed it up with a bit of fizz and cannabis tincture for a fabulous holiday mocktail. Since you can customize the cannabis potency to suit your own needs, it’s perfect for serving at your next special occasion. (We like using Curaleaf Tincture, of course!)
Makes 2 cups of shrub, enough for 8 mocktails
What you’ll need:
For the Cranberry Shrub
- 2 c fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 c water
- 2 T black peppercorns
- 1 t mulling spice (whole allspice berries, orange peel, and whole cloves) or another spice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 15 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 c pure maple syrup
- 1/4 t fine sea salt
- 1 c apple cider vinegar
For each mocktail
- 5 mg cannabis tincture
- 4 T (2 ounces) cranberry shrub
- 1 c ice
- 1/2 c sparkling water
- Optional: 1 orange slice, 4 fresh cranberries and 1 sage leaf (for garnish)
What to do:
- Bring the cranberries, water, black peppercorns, mulling spice and cinnamon stick to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Keep watch, as the cranberries will pop and sputter! Turn down the heat to medium-low and cook until the liquid is bright red, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add in the sage leaves and smash the leaves down with a wooden spoon. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add in the maple syrup and salt. Stir to dissolve the salt, then strain the mixture through a sieve into large measuring cup. Press down on the cranberries with a wooden spoon to release as much juice as you can (but not so hard that the solids sneak past). Discard the cranberries. Add the apple cider vinegar and stir again. Cool completely, and pour the shrub into a glass jar for storing.
- To make a mocktail, combine 4 T shrub with 5mg of cannabis tincture (or choose the potency of your own desire). Pour over ice and top with sparking water. Add your optional garnish. Cheers!
*Enjoy responsibly. Keep out of the reach of children.*