Recipe: Baked Apple Galette Serves 8
A galette is the fancy French name for an open-faced pie, baked on a sheet pan rather than in a pie dish. This one is infused with cannabutter, and tastes extra wonderful served with vanilla ice cream.
What you’ll need:
For the crust
- 1 ¼ c all-purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1 ½ T granulated sugar
- ½ t table salt
- 4 T cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 T cold cannabutter, cubed*
- 3-4 T ice cold water
For the apple filling
- 4 medium tart apples
- 4 T granulated sugar
- ½ t ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t table salt
- 2 T cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg + 1 T water (for egg wash)
What to do:
1. Add flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse once or twice to combine. Add unsalted butter and cannabutter and pulse mixture several times until the butter is in medium-sized pieces.
2. Pour 3 T ice water into the bowl while pulsing it quickly. When it looks like damp bread crumbs, and holds together when you squeeze it, it’s done. If it does not hold, add 1 more tablespoon ice cold water and pulse a bit more.
3. Remove dough and place on a piece of parchment paper. Bring the top edges of the paper together to gather the crumbs and shape into a flat disk. Don’t over-work it! The dough will hydrate and become more structured as it chills. If it feels too dry, wet your fingertips and flick a little cold water over the dough. Wrap with parchment paper and place in the fridge for at least 30 min.
4. Preheat oven to 340° F. *The traditional baking temperature for a pastry-lined pie is on the high side which is not good for preserving the potency of your THC in your cannabutter. Because this cooks at a lower temp, it takes longer than you might expect!
5. Remove your chilled disk from refrigerator and let sit for 5 minutes (this will make it easier to roll). Flour a rolling pin AND your work surface. Roll your disk into a 12-inch circle and ease it onto a rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Place in the fridge to keep cool.
6. Peel your apples, and cut them in half. Use a melon baller or metal measuring spoon to remove the core. Slice each halve as thinly and neatly as possible, keeping the slices pressed together. Next, fan your slices out by pressing forward on them. Retrieve your dough and lay the apple fans around the perimeter of it, leaving a 1 ½ inch border. Continue to fill the space in a circular pattern. Don’t fret over this… it’s meant to look rustic!
7. Mix the sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the apples, then top them with the cubes of cold butter.
8. Pick up the edge of the dough with your fingers and fold it over the apples, gently crimping every 3 inches as you go around creating pleats.
9. Mix egg with 1 T of water in a small bowl and brush it over the dough. This will add beautiful color and shine. Sprinkle the crust with sugar, if desired. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until apples are soft and the crust is golden brown. Remove the galette from the oven and let it cool slightly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and enjoy responsibly.
Recipe: Baked Apple Galette
Words of wisdom: Start low, go slow.
*Before putting cannabutter to use in a recipe, taste ¼ t. of the infusion with a small bite. Wait an hour to let your body digest, then assess how you’re feeling to determine if your ideal dose needs adjusting. While this will provide you with a nice baseline for your recipe, you’ll want to be mindful of your math. Infusing a whole dish requires careful planning!
The information provided herein is not intended to serve as medical advice or as a substitute for talking with your health care provider. Please consult with your personal health care provider prior to using medical cannabis.
For use only by adults twenty-one years of age and older.
We do not promote the mixture or consumption of cannabis products with alcohol.
For more cannabis inspirations, be sure to follow us on Instagram: @curaleaf.usa